I hear from countless women who have a dream of starting a homestead and making it their full-time lifestyle. Katie of Lost Oak Sheep Farm had the same dream, and she put her nose to the grindstone to make it a reality. In our conversation, we talk through what it looked like for Katie to leave her full-time career as a teacher and begin her life as a stay-at-home homesteading mama raising sheep with a baby strapped to her back. Whether the homesteading lifestyle seems like a far-off dream or it is your current reality, I know this chat with Katie will inspire you with what is possible!
In this episode, we cover:
- Why Katie decided to go full-time in raising sheep on her farm
- How Katie’s efforts to save her household money turned into homesteading
- The reality of what it looks like to go from two full-time incomes down to one
- How to make money raising sheep
- Navigating work on a homestead with young kids in tow
- Adjusting to a new definition of productivity as a stay-at-home mom
- How to start a homesteading journey if you don’t have a lot of land
- Embracing the learning curve of homesteading skills
- Using the skills from your education or career to serve you in your role at home
- Addressing the financial concerns around transitioning from a career to home
- Adapting to each new season and challenge life brings
- How many acres do you need to raise sheep?
Thank you to our sponsors!
Azure Standard is a family-owned company dedicated to providing you with high quality, affordable organic, natural, and non-GMO groceries, health, and household products. Place your order at AzureStandard.com and use the code SIMPLESUMMER10 to receive 10% off your purchase. This promotion expires August 31, 2023, and is only available for the first-time Azure customer order, with a minimum of $50 order (orders to drop locations only). One time use per customer.
Carly Jean Los Angeles is on a mission to simplify getting dressed and help women feel beautiful in every season of life! Take 20% off your order at CarlyJeanLosAngeles.com using the code FARMHOUSE20.
Toups and Co Organics uses nourishing, organic ingredients to create simple and safe skincare products. Toups and Co is offering my listeners 10% off any one purchase with the code FARMHOUSE. Visit ToupsandCo.com to order today. And check out my interview with the founder of Toups and Co, Emilie, to find out more about this amazing company and their products.
Katie is a homesteading wife, mama, and shepherdess who spends her days raising lambs, growing cut flowers, working on farm projects, preserving garden food, and trying to glorify the Lord through it all. Tapping into those skills of self sufficiency allowed her to step away from her career and into the role of a stay-at-home farm mom. As a former teacher, she now hopes to teach and encourage others to pursue the simple life.
Join us in the Simple Farmhouse Life Facebook community!